Tuesday, October 9, 2007

First day back in Hyderabad office

My first day at office started late at around 11AM. Got up late, unpacked luggage etc. and then started to office in a drowsy moood. Everyone was surprised to see mee that day... no one knew that I was coming back. And ppl ran to my cube to grab the chocolates. Even before i could send out a mail to my group, half of them were over.
I settled down after a while and started looking at my mails. I found that there is an ops level meeting scheduled that evening where we get to know about all the updates about our projects. It's almost lunch time when I finished checking my mails. This time, for a change, I had lunch with all the Chicago ppl now here in Hyderabad. I stood in line for taking the lunch coupon. To my surprise, I took out my Motorola AMEX credit card and gave it to the caterer. Immediately I realised that I was soooo stupidddd giving that in Hyderabad. Then, I quickly kept it inside and gave him cash. :-DDD I got used to swiping card sooo much.
Jet lag, heavy lunch and then what else ??? took a small nap in my cube. After chatting a little, finally the time has arrived for the meeting. This time I was a little nervous. Usually in this meeting, the head of our ops, Nirmala, announces BRAVO awards for extraordinary contributors. I was waiting for one such since 3 years in Moto. Never got it till now :-( I was hoping that my name is called atleast this time. The meeting started with the updates on whats going on @ Moto. After waiting with a lot of patience, finally the awards part has come. Our project was announced. Nirmala started reading out names. My heart beat doubled. tension ... tension .. tension ... I was patiently waiting ... the last name was called and it was not mine. :'( Felt very depressed. And then she said ... "wait wait.. there is one more name .. sorry for missing itt..." heart beat tripled now ... The name was finally called and it was not mine again :'((((( Was totally upset.
And then, she finally said that these are team awards for successful projects. Now follow the awards for individuals who've contributed significantly to the projects. The names started again. In a depressed mood, I was listening partially. And then she said ... "Aaaamruthhhh Raaaaaajjjj" ... was shocked to hear that. Stood up and walked over. I stood there and my manager started praising me over there. "Raj has done a wonderful job in the Network Addressbook project, ramped up quickly... blah blah blah..." Tears started in my eyes... was able to control them though. He was praising me in front of the ops head and in front of a huuge gathering. Finally a shake hand and thank you from Nirmala made mee flyy. I went back to my seat and started staring at the certificate. Felt really really happy. Finally, after 3 long years, the sweet little BRAVO award was announced for mee too.

No comments :