Thursday, May 10, 2018

Making a choice

Often I get into cross roads where I have to make a choice: is this the right thing for my son or not? The question gets more complicated, sometimes, when I have a strong preference for or against something.

If it is good for him and I also like to do it - no worries, the answer is clear. Go for it.

If it is not good for him and I also don't like it - again no worries, don't go for it.

The confusion comes in the other 2 cases:
It is not good for him, but I have a strong liking for it. For eg. he is more right brain types and I want him to become an Engineer. DISASTER. Something that needs to be avoided.

Lastly and most importantly, it is good for him, but I have a strong dislike. For eg. he likes playing with a neighbor's kid and it is good for him, but the neighbor and I fought and the heavens have fallen down. Here, it takes a lot of courage, commitment and what not to let him still do it. And if I did it, I really did something for him. Something worth cherishing and feeling proud of oneself.

When I am at crossroads, many a times this analysis helped me get to the answer quickly.

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

What analysis? What about the 90% of cases where you don't know have a strong preference or where you don't know what is right is wrong?

Amruth Raj said...

Your case looks like the 5th possibility, which is, you don't have a preference and you don't know if it is good or bad. If I were you, I will simply Meditate. Not convinced? Give it a try.

Anonymous said...

Sure, next time when I am faced with the questions like Which school is better for my child? Should I choose this new job or stay in current job, I will meditate and see if it magically gives me clarity on my decision.

Anonymous said...

Good one. At any given time you need to stand with the right choice only. Even it sounds wrong for the other person he will definitely realize that truth prevails.

Anonymous said...

thid is the best piece of analytical advice i have received in a long long time. keep writing and keep motivating us with these jewels of wisdom sir.

Amruth Raj said...

Thanks for all the comments friends.
If for anyone it is not making sense, I wish someday it will.