Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Movies and their social impact

Last week, my cousins have asked me if I could join them for watching Bejawada, and I gave a blunt NO on why I don't want to come. They were surprised to know the reason and that very moment, I thought everyone should know why and hence this post :) By the way, I also stopped them from watching it and felt very happy after they've stood by what I said.
A picture is worth a thousand words. Even before Independence, when there was no cinema, people went village after village doing puppet shows on how the British ruined Indians and India. They thought it is an effective way to communicate with people. Now we see so many kids, in fact us, even adults, pick up styles, costumes, and even phrases from cinema. Before watching the movie "3 idiots", how many times did one say "All is Well?"
In one of the interviews, RGV was asked "why do you take cinemas which are so controversial? do you see anything useful to the public?" and the stupid says "I *do not* agree if movies make a lasting impact to the audience. they are just entertainment." If we look at his latest movies, Raktha Charithra, Bejawada, Not a love story, he seems to be making his point. Why on Earth does one want to know the life story of a factionist and how faction grew? Why is one bothered if he is proud of his **** collection of movies? Can he make such statements or can he take such movies if his family is part of it? Will he encourage his own kids to watch his movies? I doubt. Since then, I stopped watching his movies and discourage others who do it as well. As a director/producer/story writer, he is responsible for the impact his work leaves on people. He may be truly having a great eye, but I wish he could only use it for the betterment of the society.

5 comments :

Anonymous said...

hahahhaaa !!!

EaglEyE said...

every one has a freedom to express so RGV is free to do his movies the way he wants i think it is people who have to stop going to his movies .. if they think it is having such a bad effect..quite frankly "Dark Knight" is the darkest movie ever made according to me and it was the biggest grosser and i like it too but it doesnt mean that i started putting smile on everyones face :)..so ya its all personal choice

Amruth Raj said...

Dark knight is a great movie. Though the main plot is about making faces, the movie has a lot more thrill, drama, suspense in it .. which makes the main plot go along with everything else.
If Dark Knight had a smile creating scene every 10 minutes, then, it would have been an utter flop :D

Uchinta said...

Businessman lo Mahesh babu and nazer conversation lo ila antaadu.. "Mumbai ni bhai lekunda cheyyali ani mee kala.. Naa kala adi kaadu.. yevari kala vaaridi..Ee prapancham okkadidi kaadu..Meeku nachinattu chesukondi"...
Even RGV said the same..I dont force any one to watch my movies..Nee ishtam vuntey chudu. Else leave it...I hope you missed his justification/impacts of movie RC in TV9. Hope u must watch it.

Amruth Raj said...

@Uchint: I tend to disagree, of course it is everyone's world and their own lives. Each will have their own dreams and ambitions based on past experiences. Laden has his to ruin America, A Raja has his to sit on a pile of cash etc. But are they justifiable??
Putting it in another way, will he *not* force his kid to *not* follow his movies? Do kids and youngsters in adloscent age really take a movie just as a set of frames which can play for 2+ hours??
His area of work leads to a lot of mimic-ing and he should understand it, my feeling...